I am using Yacy as part of my project about running a RamDisk in a Nextcloud server on low end hardware

I’ve been locked out for months just got in with twitter. Must be because my IP has crawled this forum in the past.

A RamDisk Experiment on old Recycled Hardware with a new HDD.
I am going to test NC 25 on an I5 notebook that has 4 GB’s of ram currently running NC 25.

Folder/User stats synced files from windows.
166 GB (178,681,866,758 bytes)
166 GB (178,687,537,152 bytes)
3,117 Files, 300 Folders

My project details for NC install/setup.

My Benchmark/Current speed on I5 8 GB 2 TB 7200 rpm. is ~1 second per file/ per new file when Syncing with a NC client once there are a lot of files in the NC Server. Will have to power it up and look at the bash history to find what I have tried so far if needed.

I will also share the QB64 BASIC code I create to test basic file performance in Hz on a normal HDD and of the RamDisk.

If tests results are good I may also add a ThinLinc remote access server to the experiment as well.

Continuing the discussion from Change favico.ico or color on Nextcloud Support forum website:

I have tested this Ramdisk setup with Plex TV server’s Transcode cache folder, it worked very well increasing the number of streams playing and with very low CPU usage once the streams where running.

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/snap-setup-of-nc-25-a-ramdisk-experiment-on-old-recycled-hardware-with-new-hdd/156423

This will help with working on the creation of the Windows Version of Yacy.
I use the a Nextcloud Server to Sync my Windows and Linux machines together with changes done in Linux to compile Yacy so it executes the latest version from github.
I have filled all my Nextclouds atm and have had the project on hold until I have another Nextcloud. I only have very low end old hardware to use.

I have been crawling for a few hours in the webportal mode with my pihole on . .20. in pic.
The java usage is below 200 mb its just crawling 1 domain atm.

Results in index so far are very clean. There 54% of DNS requests have been blocked coming from the IP of Yacy computer.

1 Like

Update…
I managed to grab some RAM in the last 7 months.

I have been running yacy in a ramdrive for a short time now in a 10 GB ramdrive on 2 PC’s

I followed this create-ramdisk-linux but changing the /tmp to /mnt

sudo mkdir /mnt/ramdisk

sudo chmod 777 /mnt/ramdisk

sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=10G ramdisk /mnt/ramdisk

Auto-mount on System Boot

sudo nano /etc/fstab

ramdisk  /mnt/ramdisk  tmpfs  defaults,size=10G,x-gvfs-show  0  0

If it is empty it wont consume any memory until contents are added.
I just use the shell command in QB64 to create executive programs to click on.
QB64 is X platform https://github.com/QB64Team/qb64

My init_agent_ramdrive.bas used to copy your backed up source to the ramdisk after reboot.
In ubuntu 22.04 you can autostart apps I have no tried adding to yacy yet.

Print "Copying contents to ramdrive"
Shell "cp -R ~/agent_ramdrive/yacy /mnt/ramdisk/"
Print "Done Copying contents to ramdrive"
_Delay 5

Print "Starting Yacy now"
Shell "/mnt/ramdisk/yacy/startYACY.sh"
_Delay 5

My backup program backup_agent_ramdrive.bas just backs up the ram contents

Rem try live...early tests are ok
Print "Copying live contents from ramdrive"
Shell "cp -R  /mnt/ramdisk/yacy ~/agent_ramdrive/"
Print "Done Copying live contents from ramdrive"