Errors list of YaCy

Try WattOS #32 or 64 bit
Have basic netbook running.
Don’t do upgrade…
Try spare USB stick first HDD unplugged
Caution is #linux

К сожалению, для меня нет смысла организовывать узел на собственном компьютере любым способом.
Потому что мой провайдер дает подключение через NAT (так называемый “серый” IP).
Такой узел не будет доступен со стороны сети, уже испробовано.

1 Like

Hi, since it looks realy elaborate, would you mind translating your post to english, eg. using google translate? Everyone wanting to read your post has to do by himself, so maybe if you do, you can catch even some mistakes in automatic translation… Thanks!

1 Like

Recently I bought a maximum RAM for my yacy server, and now, reaching some 20.000.000 of pages, it’s exhausted again (8.5GB RAM reserved for Yacy, Solr is a separate process). So it seems that with increasing the index size, the ammount of RAM used grows as well.

I’m not sure it will work out well. Previously, the forum had its own translation service, but now it does not exist… it probably didn’t live up to expectations.

1 Like

It looks like it is. For this reason, I cannot use a large disk space entirely with a small memory.

Wow, that’s impressive and diligent! Thanks for translating!
It seems to me, that a larger part is a behavior under low ram and disk condition (well, 870MB is not exactly low :-] and is default now and recommended in the docs), which should be solved.
I don’t quite understand how YaCy works with memory, I only observed, that GC is called when memory is full.
The second thing I don’t understand is, how heaps in \DATA\INDEX\freeworld\SEGMENTS work. I got an instance with separate solr, and still the index is written in local text files, which are held on disk and probably somehow in memory as well (the more indices, the more RAM occupied). ‘Database optimization’ somehow merge these files together. And some merging and compressing is done upon shutdown and start-up – that’s why I rather restart YaCy every few days (and have only few days uptime in the table). After crash or killing the java process, the start-up and probably some sort of repair, takes quite long.
How does it work, @Orbiter?

1 Like

I have ver 1.924 10069 from web site and have had issues with deep crawls of larger than normal site…
What is the depth you crawl at ?
I have 4 CPU host running at 13 times overload in Linux lasts 3 mins,…
The tar.gz I think is made for modern servers…
When I first started it it would last an hour or so…
It’s very hard to use a consol window on a 99 aud android phone
But worth every second.
Thanks for supporting this project like I have.
Try…GitHub.com/smokingwheels for some lighter versions of yacy. But make sure you have a working backup.

I think other scattered error messages from YaCy can be collected in this topic.
Here are the latest messages that appeared after my list:

Good idea, mine are:

Some things with handling memory were improved in the source code at github. Are you able to build yourself from source? Current version I use is: yacy_v1.926.
You can easily backup the old version and copy/move only the DATA dir to the new version – and it sould run as before.

To find out, what might be wrong, you could try to dig in source codes. YaCy Java reference might help.

If you have an external machine with public IP, you can try ssh tunnel as described in FAQ.

1 Like

What do you see from this peer

http://138.68.166.11
Ver 10069
http://149.28.182.181/index.php/s/GyEAT4ZqwnHGgkf
Community education and power
File is writeable but not sure what to do…
Hosted by my nextcloud server.
Using 99 and android 11 phone

Sorry wrong link.
Will keep looking on phone
http://149.28.182.181/index.php/s/GyEAT4ZqwnHGgkf
WattOS
I have tried and run pixel and yacy.
Pixel runs in my.vultr
.com
Is impossible on android phone no zoom

How exactly to find version v1.926?
Is this a stable version? It this an official version? Why is it not on the yacy.net website?

I’m sure if you looked in GitHub you would find it. For many years I had a fork unsynchronized but don’t anymore.
Asking at a torrent site might be another way…

Hi Felix,

You can compile it yourself out of source code at GitHub.

You gotta to ask @Orbiter.
In my opinion, some automaticaly built ‘nightly’ version, auto published on yacy.net would be nice. Are we able to do that?

This URL is from 6 years ago about YACY I would of been using Ubuntu desktop 14 .04
On a 10 year old rubbish tip find PC., The java version was 1.7 or 7 back then and now min 1.8 8 …
I have no way to open files to see what I was doing at the time…

I have stress tested yacy for many years now on at least 10 year old rubbish tip hardware
I have had a good time doing IT to help with this project.

It was still not that a error was discovered, but apparently a shortcoming:
YaCy cannot index this site
https://анимевост.рф/sitemap.php
does not find links on the page.

I think XML parser is still broken. It affects sitemaps and RSS feeds. Issue was reported a long ago and still no fix. Was working well several versions ago. Would anyone track, what changed since then and what to roll back or fix to have xmls working again?

I slowly start accepting the variant that there will be no response nor action from developers any time. No one touched github for months. PRs hanging there for long long time, no one responds in forum. @orbiter left this world?

Maybe you can get more attention to these bugs, entering them as separate issues on github.
First, search for already open Issues, if someone didn’t report the problem before, in which case you just add comment to the thread.
If you start a new Issue, it’s important to describe the conditions under the errors occurs, so the developers can replicate the problem (= simulate a situation when a problem happens).
Describe the behavior of YaCy which you’d expect and what happens instead.
If the error has some traces in the log, please add snippet of the log.
The more precise description, the more chance the bug will be found in the source code and fixed.

Always use the latest version, which is available at github or release.yacy.net.

If you have already a solution for the bug, you can fork the repository, make a new branch solving the problem and start a PR as described here. One PR should be just one problem fixed, so the PRs could be treated separately.

Yes, the development of YaCy is challenging your patience: @orbiter has many other projects and other developers attend just randomly and for a limited time. The more information and clues you provide about a bug, the more easy work for them. Still, bugs are fixed and improvements are made.

Basicaly, all the errors are collected in YaCy GitHub Issues, which is a bugreporting system. Every problem (‘issue’) gets a number, is labeled and discussed there. When the error is solved, issue is closed, usualy with a patch merged into the master branch.